July 26, 2022
By Eric Conn
Cheeseburgers and bacon are the perfect picture of an amazing couple – pretty cool by themselves, but spectacular when paired together. They can go upscale and classy with a nice craft beer, or be a casual meal on Friday with a Budweiser. Like the bald eagle or the pickup truck, the bacon cheeseburger may just be one of the greatest American icons of all time.
Like many American hallmarks, the bacon cheeseburger has changed over time. One great variation is the venison bacon cheeseburger, which takes another great pastime – deer hunting – and weds it with the heart and soul of a nation. Speaking of weddings, if this little dandy isn't reason enough to marry the person who made it for you, we don't know what is.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
- 6 slices bacon, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 pounds ground venison
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 hamburger buns
- Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until browned and crispy. Pour bacon and grease into a heatproof bowl and allow to cool. Heat olive oil in skillet then add garlic and shallots. Cook and stir until softened, about three minutes, then add to bacon.
- Once cool, mix in venison, Worcestershire sauce, parsley, salt, pepper and egg until evenly combined. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat.
- Shape the mixture into 6 patties and grill to desired doneness. Serve on toasted hamburger buns with your favorite toppings.